“Mill River” team confirmed as champions
WOODSTOCK – Sept. 12, 2021 – While many teams and individuals left the 15th Acadian Golf Tournament with prizes for their performances, the real winners of the event will be the children who will benefit from the $8,100 raised (including a $500 donation) through the tournament. In fact, the funds raised mainly through sponsorships will support the annual programming of the PEI Regional Committee of Les Jeux de l’Acadie, which includes the participation of over 100 youth in the next Jeux de l’Acadie Finals, to be held in Quispamsis and Saint John, NB.
A total 0f 76 golfers and 10 volunteers gathered at the Mill River Golf Course in Woodstock Sunday, Sept. 12, for a windy round of golf (which included various games and friendly competitions) and for a chance to win numerous prizes and gifts based on athletic ability or through random draws.
The PEI Regional Committee and the Acadian and Francophone Chamber of Commerce of PEI are proud to report that the number of sponsors increased slightly this year. There were 54 hole sponsors in addition to the main event sponsor, Évangéline-Central Credit Union. Several new businesses and organizations were also added to the list of prize donors.
A variety of prizes were presented at a supper that closed the tournament:
• Champion team: “Mill River” Team (Paul Cyr, Darren Oliver, Mark Roberts and Kevin Ellsworth) with 58 points;
• 2nd place: “Les Hackeux” Team (Nicholas Gallant, Jamie Caissie, Marcel Landry and Ghislain Bernard) with 60 points;
• 3rd place: « Les Hommes à Claudette » Team (Ryan Gallant, Allan Gallant, Nick Arsenault and John Arsenault), also with 60 points;
• Closest to the line at Hole 10: Alfred Arsenault;
• Closest to the pin at Hole 5: Ryan Gallant;
• Longest drive for men at Hole 6: Nick Arsenault;
• Longest drive for women at Hole 9: Joceline Arsenault;
• Closest to the Acajoux mascot: Nico Durant;
• Three-Ball Contest: Bill McLellan;
• Most fun photos: “La Fédération culturelle de l’ÎPÉ » Team (Pascal Miousse, Mario Robichaud, Geoff Baker and Nick Gauthier);
• Tee-guessing contest: Maxime Duguay;
• Bridge Pass Game: Allan Gallant and Geoff Baker;
• Youth and Wisdom Game: Nico Durant and Bill McLellan.
PHOTO 1: The “Mill River” team, champions of the 15th edition of the Acadian Golf Tournament, receive their prizes from Alfred Arsenault, center, general manager of the Évangéline-Central Credit Union, main sponsor of the tournament. Team members are, from left, Kevin Ellsworth, Paul Cyr, Darren Oliver and Mark Roberts.
PHOTO 2: “Les Hackeux” Team took second place with 60 points at the Acadian Golf Tournament in Mill River on Sunday, Sept. 12. Tournament coordinator Jeannette Gallant is seen presenting the prizes to the team members: from left, Marcel Landry, Ghislain Bernard et Jamie Caissie. Nicholas Gallant is absent from photo.
PHOTO 3: Raymond J. Arsenault, center, event coordinator of the Acadian and Francophone Chamber of Commerce of PEI, presented the third prize to the sons-and-fathers team “Les Hommes à Claudette”, from left, Nick and John Arsenault and Ryan and Allan Gallant, at the end of the 15th Acadian Golf Tournament on Sept. 12.
PHOTO 4: Alfred Arsenault, representing the main sponsor of the Acadian Golf Tournament for the past 15 years, the Évangéline-Central Credit Union, hit his ball closest to a special line at Hole 10, earning the $500 that were donated by Lisa Lamers Insurance Agency (The Co-operators). Arsenault donated the full amount back to the PEI Regional Committee of Les Jeux de l’Acadie. Tournament and committee coordinator Jeannette Gallant graciously accepted the donation.
For more information:
PEI Regional Committee of Les Jeux de l’Acadie