SUMMERSIDE – Oct. 16, 2018 – The Acadian and Francophone Chamber of Commerce of PEI wants to continue honoring businesses, co-ops, organizations and individuals who contribute so much to the Island economy. It has therefore just launched its annual awards competition and is inviting people to submit nominations.
During the Entrepreneurs’ and Co-operators’ Luncheon Oct. 16 in Summerside, Chamber spokesman Pierre Gallant unveiled details about the competition and the awards that will be presented at the 2019 Entrepreneurs’ Gala on March 16, 2019. The deadline for submitting nominations is however Nov. 16, 2018.
« Last year, we received 23 nominations for our awards; this year, we’re hoping to get as many, if not more, » noted Arsenault, as he officially launched the contest. “So if you know of any francophone or bilingual company or business person who offers a great service and deserves to be honored, we strongly encourage you to submit their nomination. You just have to fill out and submit a very simple form to explain why they deserve the award.”
The award categories and criteria remain unchanged from last year. The 2019 awards will be:
• 2019 Enterprising Youth of the Year Award, which is destined to honor a person aged 25 years or younger, as of March 16, 2019, who has shown impressive entrepreneurial and/or community involvement, especially during the past year. Groups that meet the age criteria are also eligible;
• 2019 Social Economy Business of the Year Award, which seeks to honor a business, co-op or organization that has an economic vocation and that has stood out because of its accomplishments and successes, including its impact on its community, especially in the past year,
• 2019 Business Personality of the Year Award, which seeks to honor a personality from the business world, either an entrepreneur, a manager or an employee of a business, organization or co-op, who has stood out because of his or her customer service or accomplishments and leadership in the business world, especially in the past year;
• 2019 Immigrant Entrepreneur of the Year Award, which seeks to recognize an immigrant entrepreneur who has at least two years of entrepreneurial experience on PEI as of March 16, 2019, and who is recognized for his notable accomplishments and business spirit, especially during the past year;
• 2019 Distinguished Entrepreneur Award, for a person who has at least 25 years of entrepreneurial experience since this award aims to honor an entrepreneur who has distinguished himself/herself for efforts and accomplishments throughout his/her career; it’s essentially a lifetime achievement award. The nominated person can be retired or still working;
• 2019 President’s Award of Excellence, for a business that has stood out by showing excellence, especially over the past year, in one or more of the following categories: innovation, quality of service, job creation, greening effort and community impact.
Arsenault said at least one of the owners, co-owners or managers of the business, organization or co-operative must be able to speak French. The person, business, organization or co-op cannot have received an award in the same category at the Entrepreneurs’ Gala for the past three years. Past candidates who did not receive an award are however eligible.
A jury will choose winners according to the established criteria. It reserves the right to reject any incomplete nomination or any nomination that does not meet the criteria. If no suitable candidates are found, it can also decide to not present awards in certain categories. A maximum of three finalists will be retained in each category.
Anyone can submit a nomination by filling out the nomination form, after having obtained permission from the candidate. Potential candidates can also nominate themselves.
The nomination forms, available in French only, can be downloaded in Word format at www.rdeeipe.net/concours-prix-entrepreneuriaux/ .
The completed form must then be sent to Selection Committee, RDÉE PEI Inc., 48 Mill Road, P.O. Box 7, Wellington, PE, C0B 2E0, or by email at email@example.com.
CUTLINE: Pierre Gallant, right, spokesperson for the Acadian and Francophone Chamber of Commerce of PEI, and coordinator Raymond J. Arsenault officially launched the Chamber’s 2018 entrepreneurial awards competition Oct. 16 in Summerside. The deadline for submitting nominations is Nov. 16.
For more information:
Raymond J. Arsenault
Acadian and Francophone Chamber of Commerce of PEI
(902) 854-3439, ext. 231