WELLINGTON – Oct. 20, 2023 – Twenty-seven seniors from the Evangeline and surrounding community contributed 117 knitted pieces (mittens, socks, slippers, scarves, toques, teddy bears and other characters) to the knitting contest organized on the occasion of 2023 Co-op and Small Business Week. Most contributors gave several pieces. Corinne Stewart was the biggest donor, contributing 17 items, followed by Diane Richard (9 items) and Alta Arsenault (8 items).
The pieces were sold by silent auction either individually or bundled. The amount raised through this sale was $214. Added to that amount were the donations for the Friday noon barbecue at Wellington Co-op, which were $216 for a grand total of $430. This amount is being donated to the ABDC Playground at Evangeline School.
Here are the winners of the random draws. Participants had one ticket per knitted item contributed.
• $100 gift card from Michael’s – Lorraine Gallant (854-2636)
• Nightlight (light house) – Stella Arsenault (854-2643)
• Small jewelry box – Diane Richard (439-5889)
• Decks of Acadian cards (5) – Alta Arsenault (Chez-Nous), Lorraine Gallant (Chez-Nous), Marie Maddix (854-2317), Colette Arsenault (854-2429) & Lena Arsenault (Chez-Nous)
• Book by Georges Arsenault – Gisele Gallant (854-2821)
• Small bottles of jam (2) – Lorraine Gallant (854-2763) & Simone Arsenault (854-2437)
• Decorative clock – Eva Richard (Chez-Nous)
• Folding shopping bags (2) – Corinne Stewart (854-2725) & Gisele Gallant (854-2821)
• Book about Gilbert Arsenault by Paul D. Gallant – Corinne Stewart (854-2725)
• Book “Yelle” by Carole Arsenault – Colette Arsenault (854-2429)
• $25 Co-op Gift Cards (2) – Léona Arsenault (940-4388) & Corinne Stewart (854-2725)
• Sirène et Matelot CD – Diane Richard (439-5889)
• Small boom box – Léona Arsenault (940-4388)
• Alarm clock – Yvonne Arsenault (Chez-Nous)
• Bingo dabbers (4) – Simonne Arsenault (854-2437), Corinne Stewart (854-2725), Yvonne Arsenault (Chez-Nous) & Gisele Gallant (854-2821)
• Mugs (2) – Lena Arsenault (Chez-Nous) & Denise Arsenault (888-7001)
The organizers and/or sponsors of the contest were Wellington Co-op, MacDonald Insurance & Investments (The Co-operators), the Acadian and Francophone Chamber of Commerce of PEI, Provincial Credit Union, RDÉE Prince Edward Island, the Conseil scolaire-communautaire Évangéline and the Wellington Rural Action Centre.
PHOTO: The sponsors of the Co-op and Small Business Week seniors’ knitting contest gathered Friday afternoon to look over the mount of knitted pieces that had been donated and to make random draws among all the donors. Among the sponsors are, from left, Raymond J. Arsenault from the Acadian and Francophone Chamber of Commerce of PEI, Diane McInnis from Provincial Credit Union, Betty Jean Deagle from MacDonald Insurance & Investments (The Co-operators), Annette Richard from the Conseil scolaire-communautaire Évangéline and Chris O’Brien from Wellington Co-op.